Android DeveloperVancouver, Canada
About The Company
xMatters’ cloud-based communications solutions enable any business process or application to trigger two-way communications (push, voice, email, SMS, etc.) throughout the extended enterprise during time-sensitive events. With over a decade of experience in rapid communication, xMatters serves more than 1,000 leading global firms to ensure business operations run smoothly and effectively during incidents such as IT failures, product recalls, natural disasters, dynamic staffing, service outages, medical emergencies and supply-chain disruption. xMatters is headquartered in San Ramon, CA with additional offices in London and Sydney.
This a rare opportunity to be part of software engineering team focused on Android and Backend development. If you have experience in either one of these things and are interested in learning the other, then we are interested in speaking with you.
On the mobile front, the team is focused on innovation within the xMatters Android app, constantly improving both the technical foundation and the user experience. Are you tired of writing too much boilerplate Java and/or interested in learning something new? Then leave Java behind and come develop Kotlin instead.
But we don’t stop there… We are also service owners for an event driven microservice and are passionate about developing well-designed and scalable software that enhances people’s lives globally. Join our world-class team and help build the future of xMatters!
If this position and our fun and hard-working culture appeal to you, we’d love to hear from you
Why You'll Love Working Here
- Cool new offices in downtown Vancouver and Victoria
- Above-market compensation
- Full extended medical benefits, including dental and vision
- Training and professional development budget to help advance your career
- Strong belief in work/life balance (and we mean it)
- Annual health & wellness grant to spend on almost anything to improve your life
- Emphasis on innovation: we dedicate one day every month to our pet projects
- Innovation is rewarded with glory and seriously cool prizes
- Diverse, smart, and talented co-workers
- Collaborative, fun work environment, where laughing and learning go together
- Well-stocked kitchen with snacks, drinks, and ‘beverages’
- Generous employee referral program
- Fun days involving skiing, bowling, curling, frisbee golf, pool at the pub, and so on
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Drive new features end-to-end through prototyping, validation, implementation, launch, and further iteration
- Work alongside a world-class cross-functional team to build delightful products and experiences for millions
- Shape the direction of future mobile products at xMatters
- Be a DevOps engineer and be responsible for all stages of software development including implementation, testing, deployment, monitoring and support.
Your Education, Skills Sets & Experience
- A degree or diploma in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience in Java/ Kotlin and/or Android development
- Enjoy the challenges of building highly responsive and fault tolerant apps in the constrained environment of a smartphone
- Willingness to buck the trends and learn new ways to build software
- Experience developing performant REST web services to provide the data requirements of your app
- Solid knowledge of unit, integration and automation testing methodologies
Stuff That Earns You Bonus Points
- +1 if you know any of the following: Kotlin, RxJava, Retrofit, MVVM, Firebase, Espresso
- Familiarity with the Android SDK and with Android development tools
- Comfortable being self-directed and pushing the boundaries of what is possible on a mobile device
- Experience with Agile development methodologies such as Scrum